Friday 4 March 2011

Northern Thailand -“Get a kick-ass for boarding on bus without ticket?”


Two years ago, I went Thailand to cover Sukhothai and the Northern region. My main communication mode with the locals depend on a tiny translation book (English to Thai and vice-versa).  I find the local peoples are genuinely kind, thoughtful, helpful and willing to share information. Here’s one of the event during my 12 days backpack journey.


I was at Chiangmai bus station trying to purchase a ticket to transfer to Sukhothai. A staff at the ticket counter refused to sell a ticket to me. “No”, “Bus” and he pointed to the bus waiting lane. Ask me to be there? So, I proceed to the lane and to check with a few foreigners sitting on the chairs waiting to get to Sukhotai. Each of them holds a bus ticket purchase from the counter. Running back to the ticket counter again, I said “Sukhothai. One ticket ” but he and the other guy gave me the same response again. I talked to a local who understand a little english and he too pointed to the bus waiting lane.
Some special treatment? I was wondering how to get on to the bus later. "Am I ready to get a kick-ass for boarding on bus without a ticket?"  So, when the bus arrived, I got in and said to the driver “No ticket! Have money!”. His hand “signs” asked me to get into the bus. Whereas, those who understand english looked at me curiously.  Then,  the bus conductor came and I paid for my ticket, happily.  Later on, only to realise that my ticket price was lowered by a few bahts when I checked with a foreign guy sitting beside me. Looking at the bus window and I saw my own reflection…“My old and slightly torn shirt (my left upper arm)”. Oops! that's the cause.

2 comments:

  1. oh dear, so they thought u are kinda poor and give you discounted ticket .. ha ha , funny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed, and they are very kind.

    ReplyDelete